Ask A Lawyer

I received a subpoena to testify at a deposition in a civil action. I received it today and it requests my presence.  I cannot make that work in such short notice. What do I do? 

  • I think the first thing you should do is contact the lawyer who issued the subpoena, and explain to them the time conflict. Ask if they could reschedule it. However, do not ignore the subpoena.